March 5, 2011

Children's books I love: Roald Dahl


I've only read two of Roald Dahl's books: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach. I lost steam getting through Charlie and the Glass Elevator. The BFG is on my list as are the short stories and poems he's written.
That being said, I can read the first two again and again. They continue to fascinate me (and my son) with every read and every page. Dahl's books are whacked out in a twisted, childishly evil yet delightful way. I would give anything to get one of those golden tickets all for myself. Just imagine entering that factory, with its odd Oompa Loompas and the off-his-rocker Willy Wonka. He gives kids their just desserts (pun intended) and relishes doing so.
Dahl's books are innocence disguised as fantasia... if that makes any sense. They are yummy and devilish... just real enough for you to recognise but just strange enough to question the rational mind.
Here are some of the words Dahl has invented. They're great fun!
Scrumdiddlyuptious        Ratitis      Bogtrotter
Digusterous     Snozzberry     Whizzpop



No comments:

Post a Comment